E- News
Entertainment News Hub
USD USD 1.00 EUR EUR 0.86
USD USD 1.00 GBP GBP 0.74
USD USD 1.00 JPY JPY 159.04
USD USD 1.00 CAD CAD 1.38
USD USD 1.00 AUD AUD 1.40
USD USD 1.00 CHF CHF 0.79
USD USD 1.00 CNY CNY 6.81
USD USD 1.00 INR INR 96.24
USD USD 1.00 NGN NGN 1,371.62
USD USD 1.00 EUR EUR 0.86
USD USD 1.00 GBP GBP 0.74
USD USD 1.00 JPY JPY 159.04
USD USD 1.00 CAD CAD 1.38
USD USD 1.00 AUD AUD 1.40
USD USD 1.00 CHF CHF 0.79
USD USD 1.00 CNY CNY 6.81
USD USD 1.00 INR INR 96.24
USD USD 1.00 NGN NGN 1,371.62



ESSENTIAL NEWS

Breaking News • Analysis • Opinion
LATEST EDITION

BREAKING NEWS

Defence Headquarters Denies Downplaying Oyo School Kidnap, Blames Boko Haram-linked Jas Terrorists
Photo: Staff Photographer

DEFENCE HEADQUARTERS DENIES DOWNPLAYING OYO SCHOOL KIDNAP, BLAMES BOKO HARAM-LINKED JAS TERRORISTS

1 readers
shares
reactions
T

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has firmly rejected accusations that it downplayed the kidnapping of students from a school in Oyo State, stating that the attack was carried out by terrorists linked to Boko Haram’s Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimina fi Biladis Sudan (JAS) faction.

 

In a statement issued on Friday, the DHQ clarified that it is treating the incident with the highest level of seriousness and has deployed adequate resources to rescue the abducted students and apprehend those responsible.

 

The military explained that the attackers have been identified as members of JAS, a Boko Haram splinter group previously known to operate mainly in the Northeast but now expanding its activities. The DHQ said preliminary intelligence confirmed the group’s involvement in the Oyo school abduction.

 

“We want to assure the public that no effort is being spared to secure the safe release of the students,” the statement read.

The clarification comes after widespread criticism from parents, residents, and some public figures who accused the military of not responding swiftly or taking the matter seriously enough. Many expressed concern over the increasing cases of kidnapping in southern parts of the country.

 

The Defence Headquarters appealed to members of the public, particularly those in Oyo and surrounding communities, to provide credible and timely intelligence that could aid the ongoing rescue operation.

 

Security analysts have noted that the extension of Boko Haram-linked activities to the Southwest is a worrying development that requires stronger collaboration between security agencies and local communities.

 

As of now, no official figure has been released on the exact number of students still missing. However, rescue efforts are said to be ongoing, with both ground and air operations being coordinated.

 

The DHQ urged Nigerians to remain calm and supportive as security forces work to bring the children home safely.

"This represents a significant development in our ongoing coverage of current events."
— Editorial Board

READER ENGAGEMENT

SHARE THIS STORY

MORE FROM THIS EDITION

Additional articles loading...